Saturday, September 7, 2013

Why Don't We Eat at Taco Bell? Here's why.

Forenote, I really am not a picky eater. I'll eat anything (besides bugs and potential poison) that you put on my plate. 


Here's my story of  why we don't eat at Taco Bell:

So yesterday on our way home from class, my brother really wanted to go to Taco Bell for lunch, because he reaaaaaalllllllllyyyyyyy wanted to try one of  those Dorito taco things (he has an obsession with Doritos but we don't let him eat them very often). Our carpool agreed that it would be fine to make the stop since everyone was hungry and nobody had very much money on them. So we did.

I didn't really want to go there because I wasn't that hungry (this week's excessive heat wave has my appetite down to nearly nothing). But I didn't want to be a party pooper and rain on everyone else's excitement of getting to go eat. A 5:1 ratio of who wants to eat vs. who doesn't didn't side with me, but that's OK, normally I really like to eat.

So we got through the traffic and arrived at our destination and exited the vehicle  -  however it took awhile with so many young urchins in the back seats arguing over who lets which seat down and how and all the bickering that goes along with the desire not to let siblings escape the hot car (lucky for me I got front. whew.). When we finally get everyone out and start walking towards the door, we had the awkward experience of a group of shady looking men randomly start rubbing their bellies and making "yum that was soooo good" noises as soon as we started walking by them and towards the door. Really strange. It's situations like these that make me love oversized sunglasses even more, just sayin'.

So we got inside and joined the line and stared at the menu. I had no clue what I wanted because I haven't been to a Taco Bell since I was little or maybe even never (and for good reason), but figured I should get something and not be all out rude by publicly announcing in a fast-food restaurant that I prefer to avoid  fast food (minus Subway and occasionally Wendy's) because I try to eat healthy. ((Try is the key word here. As I write this I'm eating a box of Cheezits and a roll of my homemade cookie dough...but I don't do this very often.)) 

I ended up ordering the same thing my brother got, one of those Nacho Cheese Dorito shell tacos, but I requested it without sour cream, because I don't really like sour cream to be put on by someone else because usually they'll put more than I'd want. OK so I placed my order, and I proceeded to pay the smallest restaurant bill I think I've ever had. $1.50 for a supreme sized taco and large cup of water. Not bad, eh? You can't even get a coffee for that much. Not that I can drink coffee (I have adverse reactions to caffeine), I've just noticed their prices as I've stared longingly at the extensive Starbucks menu while studying with my friends.

Then I went over to the drink dispenser thing to fill my water. I get plenty of ice in my cup (because its sooo hot outside!) and continue to fill it with water. I look down at my cup, to find that the supposed water was bright yellow (the cup itself was bright white on the inside so it wasn't the cup). "OK then, this is gross. I wonder what's wrong with it," I thought... It's even a brand new building, so I'd be very surprised if their pipes rusted that quickly since being installed. I was really hot and thirsty so I really wanted something to drink, but I don't drink soda, and they were out of Gatorade and decaf sweet tea, and bottled water. So I tried a very teeny tiny sip of the suspicious water. Not only was it nasty looking, it was nasty tasting. Naturally I threw it away and just went without having something to drink. Afterall, I was headed home after our quick stop so I knew I'd be fine.

Then the gal at the counter called my number and I went up and got it, tempted to ask what the heck is wrong with their water, but decided not to because I wasn't exactly sure I wanted to make this particular person mad. I picked up my food, and went and sat down with the rest of our carpool. I took the paper off of my taco, to discover an extra large amount of sour cream dumped on it. So I got my spork and shoveled the slimy white stuff out of the shell, and hesitantly proceed to take a bite. The shell, though covered in the messy orange Dorito powder, was stale. The "meat" stuff was super runny and I'm not sure if there was cheese or not. I'm not even sure why I ate the whole thing, but for some reason I did. But after more than 24hrs after eating it, my stomach still regrets every bite.

Even though the whole idea of going to Taco Bell out of all the other choices we had, was actually my brothers, this is what he has to say about his experience, "My tacos (he foolishly ordered 2) tasted like dried cow-crap off of an old cowboy boot. And thanks to them, my stomachs screwed!" Thanks for your graphic input little brother...

So now I can say I've tried Taco Bell recently, and have reaffirmed my position that I will not eat there unless its an absolute emergency. I knew there was a reason for our never going there! But hey, you get what you pay for, if you don't mind sour cream, toilet water, and an upset stomach, the epic price is worth it!

And there you have it. My take on Taco Bell.


1 comment:

  1. Yeah, we went to Taco Bell last night after my brother's game...and the same thing happened to us. Taco Bell is disgusting.

    ReplyDelete

Please no anon messages.
We're all entitled to our own opinions, but please, be nice :)
Thanks for reading and commenting!