I have fair skin of combination/oily type, prone to breakouts and excess oil, and of course, lovely acne scars [Did I seriously just admit all of that...publically!?!? Apparently so. But only because it makes a difference in makeup choices. I wish it didn't.] that just won't go away no matter how hard I try (and I do!). I also do a lot of things outside and a lot of the time forget to take my makeup off before I work out. So I have to be really picky with what products I use - meaning I prefer products that are long-wearing/waterproof, non-comedogenic, and offer good coverage/color.
This past week I ran out of almost all of the basics (foundation, powder, eyeliner, mascara, lip balm, self tanner AND lotion). I will review the products I chose in that order. As you can tell, I was in a Maybelline state of mind and for drugstore makeup, their products really are pretty good.
Maybelline Dream Fresh BB Skin Perfector.
- light-medium coverage, can be worn alone or with foundation
- long wearing
- Will not cover big breakouts without help of concealer (then again that's not what its designed for)
- Color has a very pink undertone
Due to the pink undertone, this BB cream does not work well for me personally. It makes it look like I used bubble gum pink blush as a primer, even if I use a more yellow toned powder on top.
Maybelline Dream Smooth Mousse.
- Really does smooth and soften skin
- Great coverage
- Airbrush looking effect without the hassle
- Good color selection
- I believe the applicator sponge that's included with it contains latex (not positive, but it smells like it) and since I'm allergic to latex, to be on the safe side I use a latex free sponge or a foundation brush
I really like this foundation! It makes my skin look soft and smooth, without being too matte or shiny. I set it with Maybelline Shine Free Pressed Powder (translucent). The color works well for me, as it doesn't have a pink undertone.
Maybelline Color Tattoo and Maybelline Color Tattoo Metal
- Highly pigmented
- Waterproof/smear proof (therefore long wearing, but easy to remove)
- Can be used as shadow or liner
- For some reason the dark blue one is already drying out and flaking off the brush before I even put it on?
- Obvious lengthening
- Clump free
- Decent amount of volume
- Very waterproof
- Flaky when trying to apply more than one coat with drying in between
I have shorter lashes so I always am looking for a good lengthening mascara, and this product definitely does the trick! Works even better if you curl your lashes before applying.
Maybelline Baby Lips
- Natural looking color
- chapstick, lipstick and lipgloss ALL IN ONE
As you can tell by my reasons why I like it above, I'm a minimalist when it comes to lips. I prefer my eyes to be "the most memorable feature".
Jergens Natural Glow Foaming Daily Moisturizer (buildable self tan)
- Natural looking color (at least I think so, someone please tell me if it looks obviously fake!!)
- Dries quickly
- Not exactly moisturizing
Overall I really like this product. Probably because I'm super fair skinned and burn rather than tan when I try and am too busy and penniless to go to a salon and have spray tans that turn out orange. :)
Jergens Ultra Healing Extra Dry Skin Moisturizer
- Non- greasy
- Doesn't make me break out
- Gives a nice glow
- Really thick so its harder to spread so you end up having to put a lot more on than you need but I guess that's OK
More posts like this to come! But this isn't going to turn into a total beauty blog. Ew. Just no. No one would want to read that!